Sometimes you really want all the flavor of bacon in a dish so you disguise it with mushrooms and chicken breasts as well. Truly though, this is a pasta dish that is all about the protein. We’re rendering our bacon and browning our chicken for bold flavor. Add in some mushrooms and cream and you’re halfway to declaring eternal dibs on leftovers. I know that I tried, but you can’t always get what you want. Especially when everyone is trying to get it first.
Most of all, I feel this would be an excellent dish for the cooler months. We’re adding in heavy cream for real richness. Along with a large serving of protein and not much else. This is definitely a comfort food. So expect your tongue to hit all those flavor checkpoints that you crave in a savory dish. Earthy mushrooms, bright garlic and onion, rustic bacon, zesty lemon and crisp red pepper. All on top of chicken set alongside your favorite pasta.
The creamy aspect of this dish really lends itself to smaller pasta like orzo. Sauce will soak up slightly between orzo noodles and yet not completely vanish. Yet, you can think of this dish as fully American as it fulfills all the desires in a dinner food that we could imagine. I wouldn’t call this completely healthy with all that bacon, but we can argue that bacon is still protein. If anything, you will leave the dinner table feeling full and satisfied. I also expect you will be happy to know what your lunch the next day will be. I’d be stunned if you could finish this dinner without a large family.
Just describing what we had for dinner the other night had requests for the recipe. People don’t need to taste it to know that it is going to be good. This is a recipe that will not offend most people unless they truly hate one of the ingredients. Overall, this dish is extremely safe by our standards and easily beloved. I certainly expect to be calling this my favorite dish maybe even surpassing our Lemony Chicken Mushroom Lasagna.
- 10 strips of thick cut bacon, cubed
- 2lbs chicken breasts, cut into medallions
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 cup heavy cream (reserve 1/4 cup and 2 tsp cornstarch=mixed together)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- Cook bacon on medium low heat until done in a large 12" skillet.
- Pour off half the bacon fat and remove bacon to paper towel lined plate.
- Brown chicken on both sides over medium high in the same pan. Remove when browned.
- Over medium heat, add the remaining bacon fat. Cook onions until soft.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and red pepper. Cook until mushrooms release liquid and the liquid evaporates.
- Add chicken and bacon back to the pan along with the chicken broth and 3/4 cup of heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream with 2 tsp cornstarch. Add to pan and cook to thicken the sauce.
- Serve over warm lightly buttered orzo pasta.
- The chicken doesn't need to be cooked all the way through during browning. You are going to cook it more afterwards. You just want that brown on both sides to build flavor.